Ph.D. Computer Science, Stanford
B.S. Mathematics and Computer Science, Caltech
My research interests include computational physics, computer graphics, compilers and languages, and games.
Fractal curves visualized as surfaces using the third spatial dimension to represent complexity (with Henry Segerman).
Banded Householder representation of linear subspaces using two to three QR decompositions.
Compression and direct manipulation of complex blendshape models using HSS representations and GPU acceleration (with Jaewoo Seo, J. P. Lewis, and Junyong Noh).
A quantized diffusion model for improved subsurface scattering in translucent materials (with Eugene d'Eon).
Robust high-resolution cloth using parallism, history-based collisions, and accurate friction (with Andrew Selle, Jonathan Su, and Ron Fedkiw).
Hybrid simulations of deformable solids including embedding and rigid body coupling (with Eftychios Sifakis, Tamar Shinar, and Ron Fedkiw).
Volume preserving finite element simulations of deformable solids (with Craig Schroeder and Ron Fedkiw).
Efficient simulation of large bodies of water by coupling two and three dimensional techniques (with Eran Guendelman, Frank Losasso, and Ron Fedkiw).
Melting and burning Lagrangian mesh-based solids into Eulerian grid-based fluids (with Frank Losasso, Eran Guendelman, and Ron Fedkiw).
Robust invertible quasistatic simulations for skinning (with Joey Teran, Eftychios Sifakis, and Ron Fedkiw).
Robust finite element simulation, even for degenerate and inverted elements (with Joey Teran and Ron Fedkiw).
- Irving, G., Segerman, H. "Developing fractal curves", 2012 (in review).
- Irving, G., "Banded Householder representation of linear subspaces". Linear Algebra and its Applications, 2011.
- Seo, J., Irving, G., Lewis, J.P., Noh, J. "Compression and direct manipulation of complex blendshape models". SIGGRAPH Asia 2011.
- d'Eon, E., Irving, G., "A quantized-diffusion model for rendering translucent materials".
SIGGRAPH 2011, ACM TOG 30, 2011.
- Selle, A., Su, J., Irving, G., and Fedkiw, R. "Robust high-resolution cloth using parallelism, history-based collisions and accurate friction".
IEEE TVCG 15, 339-350, 2009.
- Irving, G., Kautzman, K., Cameron, G., and Chong, J. "Simulating the devolved: finite elements on WALL-E".
SIGGRAPH 2008 Sketches and Applications. 2008.
- Irving, G. "Methods for the physically based simulation of solids and fluids". Ph.D. Thesis. Stanford University, Computer Science, 2007.
- Sifakis, E., Shinar, T., Irving, G. and Fedkiw, R. "Hybrid simulation of deformable solids",
ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA), edited by D. Metaxas and J. Popovic, 81-90, 2007.
- Irving, G., Schroeder, C., and Fedkiw, R. "Volume conserving finite element simulations of deformable models".
SIGGRAPH 2007, ACM TOG 26, 13, 2007.
- Irving, G., Guendelman, E., Losasso, F., and Fedkiw, R. "Efficient simulation of large bodies of water by coupling two and three dimensional techniques".
SIGGRAPH 2006, ACM TOG 25, 805-811, 2006.
- Losasso, F., Irving, G., Guendelman, E. and Fedkiw, R. "Melting and burning solids into liquids and gases". IEEE TVCG 12, 343-352, 2006.
- Irving, G., Teran, J., and Fedkiw, R. "Tetrahedral and hexahedral invertible finite elements". Graphical Models 68, 66-89, 2006.
- Teran, J., Sifakis, E., Irving, G. and Fedkiw, R. "Robust quasistatic finite elements and flesh simulation".
ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA), edited by K. Anjyo and P. Faloutsos, 181-190, 2005.
- Irving, G., Teran, J., and Fedkiw, R. "Invertible finite elements for robust simulation of large deformation".
ACM/SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA), edited by R. Boulic and D. Pai, 131-140, 2004.
- Irving, G., Donkers, H.H.L.M., and Uiterwijk, J.W.H.M. "Solving kalah". ICGA Journal. Vol 23, No. 3. pp. 139-148, 2000.
A utility library of arrays, vectors, matrices, and other mathematical code together with a fast, lightweight python binding layer.
A brute force pentago solver, consisting of both forward search and massively parallel retrograde analysis.
A prototype functional programming language geared towards (eventual) performance.
Tree search code for kalah, capable of solving up to 5 stones per side.
Investigations into simplified holdem poker.
Various fractal scripts, including partial code for Developing fractal curves.